Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Weight a Minute

Some days we go on a tangent and do something "out of the book".  On this day we thought it would be fun to weigh things around the house.
I made my own worksheet listing the items, weight, tare and actual weight.
So the kids had to go through the house and they each gathered up their items and it was time to use the scale and see what weighs what.


Here's what they came up with...

A pencil weighs .2 oz
A salt shaker weighs  3.5 oz
A cellphone weighs 2.5 oz
One roll of toilet paper 2.2 oz
A shoe(don't remember who's) weighs 7.4 oz
A box of mac and cheese total weight is 8.80 oz minus the contents weight of 7.25 oz which leaves the box weight of 1.55
Can of veggies 1 lb .9oz minus net weight on can 14.5 oz and the can would weigh 2.4 oz
A Childcraft Book weighs in at 1lb 6.4 oz
Candle 2.5 oz
Drinking glass weighs 1lb 4.5 oz

Then at the bottom of my worksheet I wrote...
Tare the following using a salad plate:
                          salad plate    both       actual item weight
  1. pencil holder                _______    ____      __________ 
  2. candle holder               _______    ____      __________
  3. Christmas figurine       _______    ____      __________
  4. cereal box                   _______    _____     __________
I had them sit the salad plate on the scale and weigh that and they filled in the blanks.  They then put the item on the salad plate for that weight and then subtracted the plate weight from the total weight to get the actual item weight.  Not only did they have a blast, they learned how to weigh, tare and how to get the item weights through subtraction.
Now I do have a tare button on my scale but what fun would that be??  LOL
I make a lot of my own worksheets for the kids.  I make them on plain paper and then make 2 copies.  I keep one in my Teacher file for possible future use.




No comments:

Post a Comment